A great way to spend an evening (especially if it’s raining outside!), Dublin has some great cinemas to suit all tastes:
- The Irish Film Institute: A great Irish institution situated in the heart of Temple Bar that boasts an on-site restaurant where you can catch a bite to eat or a glass of wine before the movie starts. Irish Film Institute, 6 Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 www.ifi.ie/
- The Light House Cinema: Located in the up-and-coming neighbourhood of Smithfield, The Light House reopened in 2012 and is a little-known gem showing independent films. Market Square, Smithfield, Dublin 7, www.lighthousecinema.ie
- The Savoy: Where to go if you want to catch the current big block buster film in a central location. O’Connell Street, www.savoy.ie/.
- Cineworld: Another big cinema in a central location, they offer foreign language films. If you’re a regular visitor to the cinema it may be worth investing in their unlimited movies card, which costs €20.90 a month for a 12 month subscription. Parnell Centre, Parnell Street, Dublin 1 www.cineworld.ie
- The Screen Cinema: Just across the road from Trinity, Screen offers a mix of big name films and quiet indies. A great place to escape to during exam time! www.screencinema.ie